The Italianate Revival building was originally built for the Peters Paper Company in two phases. Designed by Gove and Walsh, noted for Union Station and The Sugar Building, this four-story warehouse was erected in 1899. A five -story addition was completed in 1915.
BlueSky Studio restored this historic structure to meet rehabilitation standards so that, upon completion, the building was listed on the National Register of Historic Places. In addition, the renovation was designed to take advantage of the unusual floor alignment between the structures creating five-floor levels open to one another. The showrooms on the first and second levels and the offices occupying the third level mezzanine are within view of each other, reinforcing a public circulation path of discovery (without the necessity of a new elevator). This openness provides a visual connection from above.
The original Wazee Street storefronts were uncovered behind pre-cast panels installed in the 1960s. Adjacent storefronts were rebuilt to the same profiles. Upper story operable windows were repaired and re-glazed. Distressed masonry was re-pointed or repaired. New fire stairs, mechanical and electrical systems were installed and fire sprinklers were reconfigured as needed.