Constructed prior to 1887 near the banks
of Cherry Creek, these Territorial Carpenter Gothic structures
have survived a significant amount of Denver history,
including flu, flood, the City Beautiful movement and
urban renewal. Mr. Herman
Ten-Winkle, a Dutch immigrant and carpenter,
purchased the property in 1882. Mr. Ten-Winkle's children
and their friends named the buildings
"Ten-Winkle Towers" because of their height,
at that time the one and 1/2 story structures were the
tallest in the area.
BlueSky Studio was hired to obtain local Denver landmark
status for this property, and to restore, renovate, and
adapt the structures to meet the code requirements for
a restaurant. An addition was added to the rear of one
of the buildings for the kitchen, and an outdoor dining
patio was to be created. Exterior restoration work followed
the guidelines set forth by the Secretary of the Interiors
Standards for Rehabilitation and restored the buildings'
simple elegance. This restoration work also allows the
owner to obtain investment tax credits.